Thursday, August 21, 2008

Our mini vacation

With summer coming to an end, Brian's internship complete, and school about to start, we decided we needed a little getaway. With gas prices so high and airline tickets even higher, we couldn't go too far. Plus, who wants to make a long car ride even longer by stopping every three hours to feed the baby. Our days of jetsetting are gone for now, and not just because we are on a student budget... who wants to be that person with the screaming kids on a long flight.

So, we packed up and headed east, about 20 miles east to be specific, to the Hyatt Lost Pines resort for two nights. It was the easiest road trip ever! Best of all, it felt like worlds away. The property is beautiful with tons of shady trees and the Colorado river too! Although it is a "spa" and golf resort, we went to enjoy the maze of pools and free smores. Anything labeled "free" is key to our happiness right now.

I was so excited about the trip, even though I knew it would be a challenge in the sleep department since we would all be in the same room. The first night was rough, for everyone but Henry. He slept like a champ in the bathroom. He's just the right size for the toilet. I'm kidding, of course. He slept in the pack-n-play with no problems. Aubrey was a different story. She is a very light sleeper, and is used to being in a dark room, by herself, with white noise to drown out the other sounds. We decided to bring her tent along, knowing that she might fall out of the big bed. Well, she just couldn't settle into sleep knowing we were still awake. So finally, we all just went to bed, and as soon as I turned off the light, she started screaming. I put her in bed with me, and finally at 10:15pm, she gave in to sleep and promptly pushed me right out of bed. I climbed in the other bed with Brian and tried to get to sleep. That didn't last as Aubrey soon woke up again. It was musical beds. I put her in bed with Brian this time . Again, she fell asleep. Just as I was starting to think about sleeping, I hear a thud. I knew instantly that she had fallen out of the bed. Luckily I had put some pillows down to soften the blow if she did roll out. I don't even think she woke up until Brian picked her up to put her back in bed. In the end, all three of us ended up sleeping in the double bed, which was tight and very uncomfortable. Needless to say, the next night we made her stay in the tent (I didn't turn off the lights until after she fell asleep) and she did much better.

All in all, we had a great time even though I spent most of the trip in the hotel room so Henry could nap. He didn't want to cooperate and sleep in the stroller by the pool. It was still too hot for that. Brian and I traded off swimming with Aubrey and she had the most fun of all of us. She enjoyed riding her little scooter around the property, swimming, rolling down the grassy lawns, eating smores and playing on the playground. I took my camera and had every intention of taking a ton of pictures. Of course, when your hands are full of baby gear it's hard to manage a camera too. Oh well. I managed to get a few bad photos of Aubrey "camping."






1 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH! That sounds exhausting!!! They are so sweet and innocent when they are little. But how quickly you forget about the sleepless nights. I suppose we are spoiled by a kid who sleeps like a rock. ;-) Enjoy those sweet babies of your before they start telling you they hate you! LOL!