Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Baum Designs and the Fabulous Baby Announcement Design Challenge...

OK.  So some of you know I have been playing around with designing announcements, cards, invitations, and even a logo.  I was calling myself "Jilly Bean Designs," but when I finally sat down to start a website and maybe even get a business license, I found the name was a little too common.  I wanted a way to include part of my name, but couldn't come up with something unique.  I enlisted the help of some friends (thanks Lisa, you were the lucky winner), and viola... The Baum Designs (pronounced The Bomb, of course, for those of you who still have trouble with the German speak). Ok., so it's a little corny.  Not sure I really feel like I live up to the imagine the name might conjure.  But I can be hip, cool, with it.  I just might be those things will some bags under my eyes and spit-up on my shirt. 

Anyway, I have really enjoyed designing for my friends, but I thought it might be time to push the envelope.  I ran across a great design site called Minted that hosts contests for freelance designers. Winners end up with their designs for sale on their site, a cash prize, and a portion of any sales. So, I decided to enter a few designs in the Fabulous Baby Announcement Design Challenge .  Now, since my week was a bit nuts in the kid department, I ended up throwing these together.  I'm not thrilled about them because they place a lot of restrictions (which is not part of my design philosophy, thank you very much).  Only one-sided (doing two sides has kind of been my thing), you have to use their photos and only one photo per design. Bah humbug.  Anyway, all excuses to say that the other designs I just browsed were amazing and I fear mine are a bit too simple!  But it's a start.  So... if you want to check them out, head on over to:
http://www.minted.com/design-rating&id=3111
http://www.minted.com/design-rating&id=3126
You can critique my designs there until voting begins (not sure when it starts, but my submission deadline is midnight tonight... nothing like waiting until the last minute).
I'd love to hear what you think.  
Hmmm. Crying child. Must go.  Will it ever end????

3 comments:

Amy said...

OH MY GOSH, I LOVE those!! You are SO doing our next baby announcement (if you are willing, of course!). Way to go, girl! Did you take those pictures as well?

Maridon said...

LOVE them all! Great job!!!

LifeisPeachey said...

You are so talented! I love them all.