My Aunt recently reminded me that I hadn't posted photos of our new kitchen. Yes, we started remodeling our kitchen almost exactly one year ago. I will say that most of the work was completed by the end of August, but with any DIY project, some parts can linger on. I think it was December before the trash drawer was complete. I wanted to post "after" pictures when it was perfectly complete. Of course, that will probably never happen. Nothing is perfect. But it is pretty much complete... although I still have one spot lacking a piece of art, we still haven't replaced the door to the laundry room, and some of the appliances still need to be replaced. In the end, considering our small budget and the amount of work we had to do, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. It is definitely my favorite room in the house, which is a good thing considering the amount of time I spend in there feeding the family!
Before
Right after we moved in...
During
After!!!!! We ran a gas line to the island, refinished the floor, painted the cabinets, installed a new sink and cooktop, painted the walls, and replaced the countertops and backsplash. And I do mean we. The only thing we did not do ourselves was the countertops.
I had been eyeing gooseneck dual handle faucets for a long time. I just couldn't handle their price. I must have looked at a thousand faucets online and just couldn't pull the trigger. I was at Home Depot for something else and just decided to take a peak. I was almost certain they wouldn't have one, and if they did, it wouldn't have solid brass fittings, etc (I told you I spent too long looking at faucets.) Imagine my surprise when I found this bad boy for under our budget! Home Depot, I will never doubt you again.
Brian questioned my choice of a single basin sink, but I think he is coming around. He argued that it makes it harder to wash the dishes since you can't fill up one side for washing and rinse the dishes in the other. I pointed out that the dishwasher does most of the washing around here (that is me, and the kitchenaid), so I won out. I love being able to easily wash large pots and pans, and this thing is indestructible! It's made form crushed granite and is nearly impossible to stain or scratch.
After all my efforts to avoid granite... may I present Sand Wave granite. I like to think it's the granite for people who don't love granite. I really do love it. Very soft and neutral and way more budget friendly than the natural Quartzite I fell in love with... and it never looks dirty!
I'm not a fan of the ceiling fan, and since it blows the flames around on the cooktop when it's on, I'm not sure it will stick around. But in TX, you kind of need it when it's 108 outside and you have to use the oven.
I had decided that since we went with the granite, I could splurge a little on the backsplash. We didn't need that much of it after all. I had found the perfect calcutta gold marble that looked great with the countertops. But the over researcher in me decided there must be a way to have what I wanted at a more reasonable price. Low and behold, I found this asian statuary marble that actually looked better (less creamy) for 1/3 of the cost! Score.
By the way, don't let anyone tell you that those mosaic sheets of tile are easy to install. As soon as you place it on the mud, the tiny little gaps start to squish together. We had to go crazy with the spacers at warp speed.
I found this iron and burlap light at the Round Top flea market.
This is my favorite spot. I dream of drinking coffee and reading the paper here one day. For now, I quickly scarf down some food, clean up the spilled milk and cereal and get ready to taxi the kids around. But it is bright and sunny and I made that middle pillow. Talent, I tell you.
This is where I now burn most of our food. It is powerful and I can't seem to remember that.
We are still waiting for the old ovens to die before replacing them. They were a lovely shade of cream until I did some investigating and realized that the metal fronts could be disassembled. Then I ran straight for Lowes and bought a can of appliance paint. Who knew. Seems there is a spray paint for everything.
I love the wall color (BM Revere Pewter). Thank you Shannon for testing every shade of gray so I didn't have to. The old intercom system stayed. It kind of fits in now. I made the frame thingie on the right and swiped the birdcage mirror from my mom.
The cabinets were very solid, but boxy. They didn't have any molding. I can't believe the difference a little trim can make.
I spent another chunk of time trying to figure out what to do with the kitchen table. We loved our table. It was a steal of an English antique that we had bought when we first got married. Only problem... it was square. Didn't work so well with the window seat. But who can spend a ton of money on a new table when you are out of money. Well, enter Craigs List. For $20 (I think) I scored this oval table that is the perfect fit! It had a not so attractive bleached pine butcher block top. I wanted it to work with my two chairs I was so happy to find at the outlets. I have to say, this may have been my best DIY project ever. I don't know how I managed to get it to look right, but somehow I did. So for $20 plus two small cans of stain, I got a french country table that would sell for hundreds if not thousands. That's what I tell myself anyway.
A WW1 plaque that once lived with my parents, a silver plate trophy and dish from the local antique mall, and a fish print I also found at Round Top. The one "new" item is the plate from Anthropology.

That blank wall to the right of the cabinets is longing for some art. Just not sure what. Some pops of color maybe. I'm thinking a Judi Goolsby original might work.
That magnet board caused me all kinds of heartache. I wanted a place for the kids to play while I cook but couldn't find one the right size in zinc or steel. So, I bought three small sheet of metal and Brian mounted them to a piece of scrap wood that I painted. It works for now. They haven't really used it, and I spend a lot of time picking up magnets.
A thrift find and a little white paint, and voila... Texas art.
The best part of the kitchen is not what it looks like. My favorite thing is gathering here with family and friends. As I'm writing this post, I feel a little strange. While I am proud of our project, I do not want to brag or be tacky or trivial. Truth is, we were very lucky to have a working kitchen. The new one is great, but it doesn't' make or break us. Anyway, I don't want to get all philosophical (it is 12:30am after all... WHAT... I need to go to bed). I feel very blessed and thankful.
























3 comments:
Great post, girl. It is just so beautiful!
And, I loved all of these recent posts. That picture of Jack and JA is a keeper. :-)
When are you going to come help me decorate?
Love it! It truly is fun to see before and after shots. You should be very proud of all the hard work you guys put in.
Post a Comment