I am finding hard to put into words what this trip was like for me. It was exhausting, uplifting, heartbreaking, rejuvenating, FUN, and in a weird way, relaxing (I was able to sleep through the night, every night...haven't done that in a lonnnngggg time). I was up every morning at 5:30 am, ate breakfast at the hotel, and was on the first van to the Moore Pediatric Surgery Center. I didn't see much of the city since it was usually dark when we returned to the hotel at night, but I did capture a few shots from the van and from the rooftop of the surgery center.








Things got busy pretty quickly each morning as the team prepared to triage patients, run 3 operating rooms, and provide post-op care. My job was three fold. I needed to get a before and after photo of every patient, document the facilities for future trips, and capture those heartfelt moments that convey the mission of Austin Smiles in a single photo. I was busy! However, there were times when things slowed down for me and I was able to observe surgeries, visit with some families, and help out other members of the team in various ways.
As a photographer (still finding it hard to call myself that), I was prepared for what to do, but I don't think anything could have prepared me for what I saw and felt while I was there. I was struck by how much these children were loved by their families. I never felt they were neglected, despite how their society might feel about their abnormal appearance. The parents never complained. Some of these surgeries can leave the kids with a good deal of pain, and the families never seemed to be angry and they never demanded anything from the nurses or doctors. I kept thinking that wouldn't happen here in the USA. I don't think I could have remained that calm while my child was in pain. Some parents held their children all night. They were incredibly grateful. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for them to hand their child over to a doctor they had just met. What faith and trust. The children were so happy! Yes, they were uncomfortable, but those old enough to know what was happening, were so sweet and thankful. Some of these surgeries take as little as 15 mins, but they change a life. It's not just about how they look, but these children can now eat, drink and breathe properly! I wasn't sure how I would feel watching the surgeries, but I was fascinated! It was amazing to watch a child transform right before my eyes. There were certainly moments of sadness, like when we had to turn away a patient because their health was not what it needed to be to undergo surgery. It was heartbreaking for the family.
I left Guatemala feeling incredibly blessed. My children are beyond privileged and I am so grateful for their health. I have a lot more patience than usual with them. When I get frustrated with them or with anything that doesn't seem to be going my way, I can put it all in perspective with much greater ease. I hope I have the chance to go on another mission. I think everyone should have this opportunity. It was truly remarkable.
I took nearly 800 photos. I wish I could show them all, but I will spare you. Here are some of my favorites...
















Here are a few before and after photos.




This is Flor... and she stole my heart. She was so sweet and brave.



My roomate, Daira
On Friday, we were treated to a day off and took a bus to the beautiful town of Antigua where we spent our last night. It was a beautiful city surrounded by dormant and active volcanos. It was so colorful and beautiful. I went on a speed walking tour of the city and saw most everything! Then I joined a few others and we paid a driver to take us to some of the surrounding villages. This was a treat.




















1 comments:
That seems incredible! Thank you for sharing them. You should show them at a meeting sometime!
Post a Comment