So far, she seems to be adjusting to growing up pretty well. Of course, she is exhausted from school and has a little more attitude lately, but for the most part, she makes good choices and is still so excited by life and learning (it has taken me several days to get this post done, and wouldn't you know it, she has been making some bad choices! ugh). She is extremely independent, and a little stubborn, which I know will serve her well later in life, but often gets her into trouble now. We were walking home from school the other day and she was getting a little too far ahead for my comfort with all the traffic around. I asked her to come closer and she said "no mommy, I want it to look like I'm walking by myself." If given the chance for a play date, she would always prefer to have it at someone else's house. I've decided that they must have better snacks. At family camp recently, she wanted to sit with our friends and their kids and not with us, and even after they had left the table to chase their kids, she preferred to remain there alone instead of sitting with us. It sometimes breaks my heart and makes me think she doesn't like to be with me. Maybe I have been too hard on her, maybe I haven't been fun enough, maybe I haven't shown her enough love. But i have to remind myself that she was like this from day one. Always more content to be out of the house. Always better behaved for everyone else. It's just her personality, and I do love it, even if I can get frustrated sometimes. I'm sure I perpetuated it some when Henry came along. I expected a lot of her, probably too much for her age. She was so verbal and seemed so mature that I think I forgot that emotionally, she was still a baby herself. Anyway, I just want her to slow down a little now!!!
I asked Aubrey the same questions I ask on every birthday so I can remember what she was like at this age. Here are the results. You'll notice there wasn't much change this year from last year.
What is your favorite food?
A: Shrimp Enchiladas
What is your favorite book?
A: Rainbow Fairy chapter books
What is your favorite color?
A: rainbow, gold and turquoise
What is your favorite song?
A: Great Fairy Rescue
What is your favorite toy?
A: Tinkerbelle puzzle
What is your favorite thing about Kindergarten?
A: science
What is your favorite movie/show?
A: The Magic Schoolbus
What is your favorite game?
A: Candyland
What is your favorite thing to wear?
A: tinkerbelle t-shirt
Who do you miss?
A: GiGi
Who is your favorite brother?
A: Henry
Who do you love?
A: mommy and daddy
What was the best part about being five?
A: playing soccer
What do you want to be when you grow up?
A: a scientist
Who is your best friend?
A: Clara
So on to the actual birthday. Unfortunately, Brian had to leave town that day for work, so we woke her extra early so he could wish her a happy day and see her open her present. She was half asleep, so my surprise didn't go off exactly like I hoped, but once she woke up she was super excited about going to Disney World!!! My dear friend Jeny is still in the Navy reserves, and as a result, gets an incredible discount at the resort. We have been wanting to meet up for a girl's trip, and decided it would be even more fun to take our oldest girls to Disney. Even with the discount, it's a big trip so we decided it would be a once in a lifetime birthday present. I found a huge Cinderella Castle balloon and stuffed it in a gift bag. It floated up when she opened it with a note attached. She is starting to read, so I thought it would be fun for her to read it herself. She was so sleepy that I basically had to do it for her.
Since she didn't have a party last year and she won't really get her present until we go to Disney in January, she got to have her first big birthday party. Until now, we have kept it a little low key with either a celebration at the house or a park. She has been wanting to go roller skating lately, so we decided to have her party at Playland Skate Center. I used to skate there as a kid, and it hasn't changed much! Her only request was for a mint chocolate chip ice cream cake. She also wanted to make sure everyone in her class was invited. I was leaving the country the next day (more on that soon), so it was nice to just show up with the cake and a few decorations and that was about all we had to do.
Skating was a little tricky for most of the kids, but they all seemed to have fun.

Fairy wings for the girls, and super-hero masks for the boys



They had some great skates for Henry. They wheels hardly moved, so he was able to stay upright, which definitely allowed us to focus on the birthday girl.

Samuel and his daddy, Jack.

Aubrey gave the "walker" a try, but preferred to just hold on to the rail





Aubrey has really come to love Maddie. They aren't in the same class, but we had met her last year through a mutual friend. I don't think she remembered meeting her, and just came to know her on her own during recess.


Happy Birthday to our sweet and spirited Aubrey!!!



0 comments:
Post a Comment