Friday, November 5, 2010

Our weekend in Denton

We had such a fun time last weekend visiting friends, going to an airshow and celebrating halloween. Once the weekend was over, we not only had some tired kids, but had to roll right in to celebrating a certain someone's 5th BIRTHDAY! Now you can understand why I am just now getting around to blogging about our trip. The birthday will be next.

We have been wanting to get together with our friends, the Burkes, for a while. Anna and I grew up together and our kids are fairly close in age. When she comes to town to visit her family, we rarely get to spend much time catching up. So, when we found out there was going to be an air show near their home, we decided that would be a fun reason to head up their direction. Oh, and did I mention the reason we wanted to go to the air show? One of our former Navy squadron mates (a pilot with Brian during his first tour, my direct supervisor during my first tour, and then Brian's Executive Officer on his last tour), is now the Commanding Officer of the Blue Angels! He hooked us up with VIP passes to the show, which included taking a photo with the team. Unfortunately, being the Boss of the team means you don't get much time to visit. We had about 20 seconds to say hi, exchange a hug, and pose for the photo before being escorted away so he could attend to the next group in line. Both Brian and I went on deployment with Greg (on separate occasions) so it's safe to say we know each other pretty well. We hadn't seen one another since we lived in Japan, so it was bitter sweet to see him but not get to catch up. However, his wife Kim was there and we loved getting to reconnect with her and hear all about their crazy life.

All in all, I think everyone loved the show. Poor Henry had been up almost all night the night before, so both of us were running on empty and he didn't get a nap. I felt sure the day would be a disaster! To my surprise, he handled himself pretty well. It helped that the kids had buddies to play with, and airplanes are pretty cool!

Thank you Anna and Sam for a wonderful stay, and thanks Boss for an awesome show!

The Boss, Greg, Blue Angel #1






Brian and I with Greg's wife, Kim
The Burkes and the Blues
The Baumhovers and the Blues

0 comments: